Tuesday, June 14, 2011

WHAT I LEARNED IN BOATING SCHOOL IS...















My thoughts upon finishing the art blocks:

This was a very rewarding project.  There were definitely some pleasant surprises and expected frustrations.  Though there was the constant struggle of setting aside time and creating when I didn't feel like it, each block presented a unique set of challenges.  For the sake of compartmentalization, I will break the experience into three categories: the frustrations, the challenges and the takeaways.


The Frustrations
The main source of frustrations over the course of the week came from the mediums and tools.  The top echelon of these miscreants had to be the glues.  Their ringleader: the spray adhesive.  It was great for adhering delicate and moisture sensitive materials such as paper and thread, but it loved to vomit little white confetti of glue, giving black surfaces a bad case of dandruff.  It also remained tacky indefinitely and produced noxious fumes.  The super glue was kinda a jerk as well.

Other culprits were misaligned and sloppy cuts, mystery splotches on my clean white paper and cutting wood.  Ah, the wood.  I was expecting a nice soft particle wood block that could be punched through like cookie dough.  Little did I know, getting the clockworks set in the block would turn into a 2 hour ordeal.   (Thanks for the help, Tyler!)  And cutting that little red block with a PVC hand saw was rough as well.  Getting a straight and level cut with a hand saw, not once, but twice, was a nightmare.  Also, as I would reach the end of my cut, the wood would chip off and splinter.  Sorry, had to vent a little.

The Challenges
Besides making sure to set aside the hours and creating when I don't feel like it, I'd say refraining from thinking ahead was one of my biggest challenges.  Since I wanted each block, from conception to actualization, to be created in one day, I attempted to keep from thinking about concepts for future blocks.  I did come into the project with some materials and concepts in mind, however; but the forms those concepts took were realized in the day of their creation.  The challenge was when I would get an idea and discover that I did not have enough time to produce it that particular day.  I couldn't reserve that idea for another day. 

The other main challenge was letting myself be vulnerable.  I see all the "flaws" in each piece and immediately focus on that.  I see times where I lost control of the mediums.  I see the simplicity of each piece and feel that I need to be doing more.  I see the repetition in style and feel like I need to expand my spectrum.   It's putting it out there anyway, for others to see.  It's realizing that its not about me that helps me overcome my own criticisms.  In fact, recoiling from revealing God's truths out of fear of personal inadequacies is the very thing this project is combating.

The Takeaways 
Besides simply getting some experience with various mediums, I've learned quite a few things from this project.  One of the greatest benefits of this project was touched on in the previous paragraph.  It's putting something out there that I may not feel confident about and seeing what happens.  If it depended on my skill and talent to put ears to God's Word and change hearts, then this project would be for naught.  Rather, it's the fact that God chooses to reveal Himself through our tinpot creations that makes projects like this so beautiful.

Another thing I have gleaned from this project is the fact that every piece does not need to contain a deep or obscure concept.  Who are we to determine what is deep or obscure anyway?  In fact, it is the simple messages, the pivotal messages, that need to be proclaimed first.  It's fine to dive deep into characteristics of God's character and Biblical themes that may not be addressed as often, but I need to remember my audience.  These pieces will be seen by a large gamut of both believers and non-believers.   For the sake of the non-believers, the most basic form of the Gospel needs to be portrayed through at least one of my pieces.  It may be a message that I have heard countless times, but I cannot treat it as commonplace nor can I treat it as if it has lost it's power.

No comments:

Post a Comment