Monday, March 4, 2013

I DREAMED A DREAM(S)...


Throughout the process of deciding to pick up the blogging thing again, this series has been the frontrunner of what I wanted to share once I was back.  In my past, I feel God has used a handful of dreams (five to be exact) to either reveal or bolster the reality and nature of His working in my life.  The reason these particular dreams stand out from many of the other wildly vivid dreams I tend to have, is the deep sense of allegory that I immediately felt upon waking and the ease of recollection of the detail involved.  I have found amazing comfort and encouragement through recounting these dreams, and now I feel compelled to share these dreams.  Hopefully they will bless you guys as well!

Basically, this is how I'm gonna lay this out:
  • I'll give a little context of my state of mind/affairs leading up to the dream.  
  • I'll recount the dream.*
  • I'll leave most of the interpretation up to the reader because I feel God could use it to speak a very custom message to said reader, and I wouldn't want to discount it if my interpretation is different. 
  • Each week I will post a the next dream in the same format.
* Due to the rather disjointed nature of dreams, some dialog and inconsequential details may be assumed in order to provide a cohesive narrative.

~ Feel free to contact me if you'd like to hear my interpretation of each dream!  I'd love to hear yours!

 That being said, I will go ahead and post the first dream!










Context:   
This is the first dream I had of this nature.  It was either the end of my junior year or beginning of my senior year in highschool.  At the time, I had just started to fight what has been labeled by doctors as OCD (specifically Scrupulosity).  You see, basically, whenever an irrational or blasphemous thought went through my mind (which was terribly frequent), my reaction would be to freak out and respond with hollow, ritualistic prayer.  I knew the Truth: that I am forgiven through Christ's death on the cross [John 3:16] and there was absolutely nothing I could do to outrun the love of God [Romans 8 38-39].  However, recognizing the Truth was often difficult in the anxious state that followed each obtrusive thought.  So, I would often succumb to reeling off prayers in order to quell the anxiety and "let God know" what I really meant, rather than trusting in His grace and omniscience.

The Dream:
I'm sitting at a large, rectangular wooden table with about ten or eleven other guests, each person recognizably unique but none particularly familiar.  The entire scene is cased in this black void, with no sense of place or direction. 

The dinner party progresses as expected.  The wait staff appearing and disappearing from the depth of the blackness as they bring various courses concealed by large, silver cloches.  Suddenly, I catch something out of the corner of my eye.  One of the waiters had slipped a vial of something from his jacket pocket and was proceeding to sprinkle it's contents on the dish he was carrying.  I look back to the table to see if anyone else had noticed but everyone else was deep in conversation.  The waiter then places the dish on the table and begins to divvy out portions to the guests.

As the party is readying to dig in, I shout. "Wait!  Don't eat! This food as been poisoned!"

Much to my chagrin, my words don't illicit even a hint of hesitation from the others.  They blissfully partake in the affected dish and continue socializing as normal.  I interrupt again, "Didn't you hear me?! One of the waiters has poisoned the food!"

Again, not even a head turn.  Now distraught, I look for the waiter responsible.  Soon enough, he appears from the void and I confront him.  "Why would you poison us like this?!"

As if expecting such a response, the waiter coolly smiles at me a says, "You all were poisoned to begin with, that vile I had was the antidote."


No comments:

Post a Comment