Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DRAWING TOO


Parenthetical Deemed Necessary by the Author
So, I found a force capable of stopping any current train of thought and/or stymieing all productive activity.  The '90s are All That on Teen Nick(Case and point: it took me almost ten minutes to write that last sentence. )  I just caught the second half of All That and am now currently watching Kenan & Kel, so this post could take some time.

Now, I love the fact that Teen Nick is showing all the old shows from my peers and mine's youth, but the commercials between the shows are downright unnerving.  Every break, there is a commercial for First Response Pregnancy Tests and I just saw a commercial for a text-in "love calculator" that literally depicted a bride being left sobbing at the altar because she didn't heed the 3% compatibility reading she got from the calculator earlier in her relationship.

Anyway, Drawing II...

In a previous post, I gave a pregame to this Drawing II class that I have been taking for the past 5 weeks.  The aforementioned post acts as a prequel to this current section, so I strongly suggest you skim the archives in order to get the most out of the following paragraphs.

So, this class was completely different than what I experienced in Drawing I.  A MUCH more relaxed environment, that took some getting used to.  Workload was tiny compared to the 100+ hrs I spent drawing in Drawing I.  We were expected to produce finished pieces, which was blasphemy in my previous class.  Much more creative freedom in this class.  Composition and style were also incorporated in critiques.  A lot like a 2D design class.  No figure drawing at all!  This really surprised me, considering Drawing II at UCF is almost strictly figure drawing.

Though, I did get frustrated with the lack of drill sergeant-style reprimands and crazy high expectations that I have come to love(?) about previous art teachers,  (A little masochistic, yes, but it really pushes you to accomplish and learn things at a remarkable pace.)  I did end up enjoying the class.  The teacher was amazingly nice, and you could tell she just loves art and knows her stuff.

It was a self-starter style class, mainly because we were a group of six Drawing II students that were mixed with about 15-20 Drawing I students.  I basically just practiced the contour line drawings I had learned the semester before.  However, the homework assignments required shading, another no-no in my Drawing I.  This is something I really do enjoy, though I have only really attempted to shade a handful of drawings.  The piece below, I just completed yesterday for our final. 

Abstract Realism was the assignment
Note:  I praise God for providing!  I had been frustrated with my work for a while now, but this piece really gave me some confidence, especially since I have very limited experience in traditional mediums.  I look forward seeing what God has in store for my art in the near future!  Just need to keep the correct goal in perspective.

1 comment:

  1. your final is absolutely amazing. geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

    in other news, can i please watch All That with you? i know every word to the they're song and love the big ear of corn.

    pleasee.

    love,

    cody

    ReplyDelete