Saturday, July 30, 2011

SUMMER PHOTOGRAPHY IN FLORIDA

My friend Geoff and I wanted to take some pictures about a week(ish) ago, but as you may or may not know, Florida nights tend to be on par with aquarium hoods when it comes to humidity.  So, instead of sealing our cameras in vacuum food saver bags lined with silica gel, we decided to stay inside my nice, safe, climate controlled apartment. 

So, after a healthy volley of I dunno's and whaddayouwanna do's, we just started shooting. 

First, Geoff discovered that a long exposure combined with rapid panning and tilting can capture the cycling of the T.V.  This lead me to create some rather delightfully abstract compositions. 

Next, we took some key light shots on Geoff's camera, Chiaroscuro style.  I do not have those to post, but Geoff has kindly posted them on Facebook.  <- You can view the one's that I'm tagged in.

After that, we goofed around with different makeshift gels.  Anything from plastic bags to Eggo waffles were fair game.  Each providing surprisingly rich additive color.  This particular one was taken with an orange plastic Tupperware lid.  The green bottle, being analogous to orange's complementary color maintains much of it's integrity while everything else is washed with orange.


Lastly, the only technique we planned on using was explored.  They are called physiograms.  I learned about this nifty light trick from an e-book I downloaded a while ago.  You hang a light source from a string and swing it.  Mount or position your camera so that it remains still throughout the duration of the exposure.  Then pick a long exposure, I suggest bulb-ing it.   (Special thanks to Tyler for providing the materials and being the official string swinger.)

Here are the results.


(The center one was kind of a reverse physiogram.  I let the camera spin via it's strap.)

Anyway, I thought I would share my latest photo endeavors.  You can check out the rest of the photos from that particular night on my flickr.

Thanks again for bearing with my rather lengthy posts.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment