Monday, May 30, 2011

GETCHA' PAINTBRUSH READY!



Tomorrow, I start my week's worth of art blocks for the Glory of God! 

For those of you who don't know, I have been working along side some amazing people the last two semesters.  Seriously,  getting to know these brothers and sisters in Christ (names will appear in later posts) has touched me deeply and impacted my life in ways I am just beginning to plumb.  I thank
God for placing me in such a wholesome and encouraging environment!

That being said, a few months before I started working with these guys, many of them embarked on a commitment to create a piece of artwork a day for 365 days; all for the GLORY OF GOD!  They would use a 6in x 6in wooden block as a platform for each piece.  Other than that, they had the freedom to express anything they wanted or felt led to.  It's amazing the disparity of styles and mediums I have seen come out of this project.  You could literally see the dynamics of a individuals' walk with God laid out before you in a grid of wood and media!

After working with these guys and seeing the amazing personal revelations provided through this process, I really became infatuated with this project.  Well, earlier this spring, I came to find out that guest artists are invited to participate by working on a few blocks of their own.  Needless to say, I was excited!  So, I grabbed a weeks worth and decided to work on them this summer.

In holding true to the nature of this project, I will be creating one block a day for seven days.  I am making a point to avoid any pre-planning.  I want each day to provide me with an opportunity to be lead by the Spirit, though I do have a few mediums and techniques I do want to try.  There will be one deviation though.  By having a pretty lax schedule this week, I will be avoiding the discipline of budgeting time.

There will be plenty of struggles to be had, however.  I have very little, to no experience with many traditional art forms and materials, so this will definitely provide frustration and, not to mention, humility.  It will also be safe to say that there will be many times were I simply will not want to work on a piece.  To help keep myself stay focused, I am fasting TV for the week as well, though there will be numerous other distractions that will vie for my attention.  I also predict some nasty cases of artist's block, though this can be useful in helping me discern the Spirit's influence from simple bouts of preferential theology.

At the end of each day, I will post the finished piece along with a statement about the meaning behind it.  I will also provide a few pictures and explanations about the process behind creating the work.  If you are still reading this post at this point, first of all, thank you for bearing with me, and secondly I hope you will find both enjoyment and meaning each piece.  Also, any prayers about diligence and reception would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and God Bless.

(P.S.  If you'd like more information on the 365 project visit EvokeMinistires.org.

1 comment: